When
Tears Become Blood Become Crumbs Become Smile
I was late - unforgivable in my world of
zero tolerance of life experiences. Met at the door by the swift hand to face -
my own already still with smatterings of blood that trickled down the front of
my jacket - broken zipper - further punishment for that as well, once realized
by the dark dragon who gave me life.
This was not the first but the
fourth attempt by the same one who came at me time and again, friend of older
brothers - a mountain of a teenager age 16 - 17 - now 18. A strip from the
cloth of his Father's loins - who just happened to be a staff sergeant of the
city police as I was abruptly informed of my first AND last encounter with the
predator who would stock me for 3 long years. Nothing shy of a sharp blade - a
fillet knife - light and easy to conceal my weapon of choice - put under
his chin the last time he approached so close his breath was down my neck. I
didn't acknowledge his presence and instead drew my blade and then quietly
turned to meet him - face to face in the hall where I was at my school locker,
now in grade 9. How unfair that he had advantage of our attending the same
school. I had to find a way to end the daily shadowing, visual threats and fear
I was living in.
Rape at home age 4 was met with a proper
scolding of how and why I had allowed such a thing to happen - having cried out
for help, the same dragon dragged me from my bed after my brother ran - took me
down to the kitchen where I would be beaten of bare bottom and would receive
more of the same if any further incident came to her attention. I was to shut
my mouth, as always and keep my "woes" to myself as was taught to us
all from the earliest days of our young lives ~ no matter how awful or wrong ~
everything was to stay with me, PERIOD! Not a peep, not a one. My two older
brothers had each other to console themselves with and I am glad they did even
though they were one - a great friend - the other an ongoing aggressor to all
girls, not just myself, - much like the huge predator I came to have to deal
with. Only real difference between them, Blair used his size to assault - my
brother John his fists, as many women came to know about him over the years.
The dragon rarely beat him and NEVER
once the oldest, her darling one - but when she did beat John, it more than
once meant a trip to hospital when Father got home. My own relentless beatings
took me to my grandparents to heal from IF my dad became aware of my injuries
or she simply ordered him to upon his arrival from work, if he little one (from
birth to age 5) was not there for him to greet, but locked in my bedroom - yet
again. None of this was to be spoken of, shame lies silently behind closed
doors of MANY families. The dragon's way of tolerating me was to allow me to
stay in my room while dad was gone, and not to be out unless he was home to
attend to me himself. It was their unspoken way for her desire that I be given
away at birth was not honoured by her Father who delivered me, citing she did
not want any more children and most certainly not one who he had to revive of
breech birth - moments? without oxygen, meaning a less than perfect child, her
mind made up right then and there.
Getting big enough to be outside
with my brothers, my new found freedom, YES!!!!!! - though they ditched me asap
if for other agendas but they did often make me the games they shared of hide
and seek etc. much to their personal amusement. I didn't mind - we had much fun
together at times but if they abandoned me far from home, and making a great
joke of it - laughing as they ran off - twas more suffering to me at home,
brothers claiming I took off by myself - again. Oh well. Their lies and my
truth didn't matter. I suppose she reasoned she could beat her anger out just
fine if she had to go in search of me, or a neighbor called to tell her I was a
long way from home - again. Crying during a beating was not permitted so I
learned to cry alone at night by myself to let my hurt and sadness's out -
quietly, well buried under my blanket, fearing more of the same if I got
caught.
Both brothers now in school, two options
came to be available to me. Stay in my room or stay outside. YESSSSS. More
freedom, away from the hands that hurt me and the screaming voice of she who
slammed the door if she was disturbed in the least way of my presence. Be very,
very quiet I reminded myself, no words, no sounds, quiet. When outside became a
choice - TAKEN - not so much as a second thought!!!!! Locked out during sun and
rain, great storms of all seasons as we all 3 were when together - I had my
tree in the bush across the street. It was home base to hear the ringing of the
school bell to know when it was time to go home for lunch. It was my sleeping
tree under which I would lie curled up in the warm sun if I was tired, and
sleep. It was my umbrella tree if the rain got so hard it hurt and I needed
shelter. I only once made the mistake of walking just over 5 miles to my
grandparents for lightening and thunder, wind and rain that had me so cold and
wanting in, but the dragon was not answering the door even this day, and
neighbour refused citing " your mother is sick in the head, so I can't
have you here".
Age 15, my stomach just would stop
hurting, missing class, tossing up blood in the morning and days of the stress
I must not show or bare to any other than self. Four younger siblings to care
for and a big house along with several jobs weren't enough to take away my
inner sadness and fear of my aggressors, ongoing. Sneaking to a doctor for
help, my ulcer was addressed and I was silenced for many weeks, by the she
dragon for my actions of weakness as she stated.
With time and patience and making my way
through, determined one day my life would be my own after no replies to my
cries for help to outside family and friends, whisked back for more of the same
until I finally quit running by age 10, defeated to my place of darkness of the
dragon - family became my joy and purpose in life and I poured myself into staying
"busy" that I adored children anyway and would do ANYTHING for my
Father who never once did strike me, but rather carried me to safety when
needed. Funny, my siblings thought I was spoiled not understanding why I was
being taken away for a few hours or days.
I have lost that same family -
ostracized ~ for my deciding I had to talk, finally and let my sorrows fall
behind me like a trail of crumbs that lead back to my beginnings where they
stay. Music alone wasn't enough of an outlet, nor humour, nor smiling no matter
what. The dragon was eventually seen by a doctor and put on medication to calm
her rage and anger, which helped but only to some degree. Mixed with a lil
booze - she was at times tame and pleasant. Moments of peace did exist for all
of us. The younger ones know none of my early life and the older two simply
could care less, not their problem as taught. They have each other and seem to
be just fine that way. It is not a path I wish to retrace but rather add crumbs
to as I learned, slowly to share a little more of myself with the help of
others who shared their own lives with me. Together, we walk the path that lies
ahead, and ne'er do I take another's pain, suffering or silence for granted ~
to be dismissed as "poor you". "Poor You", is right and
that is why WE are here, to share our hurt - one tear, one song, one word, one
smile. Sometimes it takes some honest pity for self to begin to acknowledge the
VERY REAL SUFFERING that silence holds such a grip on, to begin to let go of it
- openly. I know it as healing ~ for myself and many others as we healed
together, one quietly shared experience at a time. My Father taught me to put
my thoughts to paper. Piano taught me to put them to music. Now - now I try to
make music in all I do - be it literally or in how I live my life, each day,
one at a time. Some of the music is sorrowful, reflections of what life can be.
Others great or small symphonies of my joy of being alive. And - I smile. I
smile from my healed heart, I smile.

No comments:
Post a Comment